Centerless Grinding OperatorApply Now
The individual in this role sets up and operates grinding machines.
- Operates one or more grinding or centerless machines to grind external cylindrical or tapered surfaces of work pieces to blueprint specifications.
- Sets up and operates precision grinding machines with special indexing equipment.
- Reads blueprints and job orders for product specifications, and interprets machining instructions to determine grinding and sequence of operations.
- Mounts grinding wheel and regulating wheel on spindles with wrenches and dresses wheel to specifications using dressing devices.
- Verifies dimensions of ground workpiece for conformance to specifications, using measuring instruments, such as micrometers, calipers and other precision gauges.
- Starts machine and monitors functional operation to qualify functionality.
- Changes worn grinding wheels, adjust, or reset as needed to maintain conformance to part specifications.
- Positions and secures workpiece on mandrel between centers or in chuck.
- Manually adjusts machine controls to index workpiece and feeds wheel to workpiece, adjusting depth of cut in part by sight and feel while holding tolerances of +/-0.0001”.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED) preferred; post-secondary education in a technical field preferred.
- Must have at least three years of related experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to read and comprehend simple and complex instructions, blueprints and drawings and follow written and verbal directions.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical computations such as to adding, subtracting, and dividing using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Knowledge of and skill using Microsoft Office applications and ERP systems.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to listen effectively and be aware of production floor activity to support safe and hazard free working environment.
- Ability to be objective and flexible in adapting to changes in priorities, work assignments and other interactions that may impact pre-established courses of action for completing projects and assignments.
- Ability to work extended hours and/or varying shifts as requested in order to maintain adequate coverage during hours of operation.
- Knowledge of Lean and Kaizan methods and practices and standard production safety protocol.
- Ability to initiate, coordinate, and enforce operational and personnel policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerance standards.
- Ability to set-up and operate Royal Mater Centerless Grinders.